Japanese Sesame Dressing
Ingredients You’ll Need to make your own sesame sauce:
To make sesame dressing, you’ll only need simple pantry ingredients that are common in Japanese kitchen:
- Toasted sesame seeds – I usually give the pre-toasted sesame seeds another quick toasting in a frying pan to bring out a more aromatic and nutty flavor.
- Mayonnaise – I recommend using Japanese mayonnaise (Kewpie Mayo) as it has a richer flavor.
- Rice vinegar – Unlike other kinds of vinegar, rice vinegar has a mellow yet refreshing aroma. You can sub it with apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice but dilute with some water.
- Soy sauce – Soy sauce lends savoriness to the dressing. Tamari or gluten-free soy sauce works fine too.
- Sugar – I use granulated sugar, but you can use other types of sugar such as turbinado or raw cane sugar.
- Mirin – Add a bit more water if you can’t find mirin.
- Toasted sesame oil – It binds everything together with its irreplaceable nutty fragrance.
Or you can just buy it online from our online store in Malaysia